Monday, August 29, 2011


Currently reading, oh, three different things: On Being Catholic by Thomas Howard (really good 3/4 stars), Sorrow Floats by Tim Sandlin (excellent; Tim shares my demented aesthetic--or I share his...); and Lord of the Barnyard by Tristan Egolf (barely started this one--fantastic thus far; plus the author's name is cool).

Just trying to figure out how to combine my disparate (?) muses: Catholicism, hillbillies, absurdities, super heroes (see Catholicism), and redemption (sort of ties in with Catholicism). Hmmm, maybe my muses aren't so disparate after all. But how to combine them in an interesting, slightly subversive, and original way--that is the task. Plus, I do want people to read the thing, so how to make it appealing on a large scale. Hmmm. Hmmm.

Walker Percy's Lost in the Cosmos is quite good. You should check it out. Really. Gotta see this documentary on Walker.

I felt fall in the air this morning. Football, turning leaves, sweater golf: good for the soul.














1 comment:

sherylmonks said...

After hearing Audrey Niffenegger speak in Burnsville last weekend, I feel free to do whatever I want, Chris. Mix those hillbillies right in there with superheroes and Catholicism. It'll work! Just don't think about it too much. That's been my problem. Maybe yours, too? Follow your dreams. Also, you might have a great story for Surreal South brewing here :)